York Village Firefighters responded to a total of 8 fire calls in a matter of 3 hours. The Village Fire Department had 4 full staffed Engine Companies during the storm. The above radar shows the storm just off the coast of York.
1. YVFD was first dispatched to a Fire Alarm Activation from a lightning strike at the Dodge dealership on Rt. 1. Squad 1 Company and Engine 4 Company responded. Units were faced with heavy rain and dime-sized hail, as well as the usual summer time traffic while responding. Engine 4 was then canceled and returned to quarters.
2. YVFD was then dispatched to a Fire Alarm Activation from a lightning strike at the “Child Development Center” at 1 Gordon Court. Engine 4 Company responded to that alarm before they were able to return from the first call, and was then canceled by a Fire Department Officer.
3. Both Squad 1 and Engine 4 Companies were in quarters when a phone call to the station came in for an electrical fire in an outlet from a lightning strike/Possible Structure Fire at 65 Cain Crest Trailer Park. Squad 1 and Engine 4 Companies responded as well as York Beach Fire Department with Tank 1 and Engine 3.
4. While responding to the possible Structure Fire at Cain Crest Trailer Park, York Dispatch toned for an Electrical Fire from a lightning strike/Possible Structure Fire at 3 Meetinghouse Lane. Engine 3 from the York Beach Fire Department as well as Engine 4, who had just arived on scene at Cain Crest, were both re-roughted to Meetinghouse Lane. Engine 6 Company also responded and signed on scene with nothing showing. All units were cleared in about 25 minutes and returned to service. Tank 1 was returned to service.
5. While at the two fire calls, YVFD was dispatched to Lindsey Rd. and Mill Dam Rd. for Power Lines on Fire. Engine 2 responded with a crew of 2.
6. YVFD was then dispatched to Lindsey Rd. by Jefferd’s Tavern for Power Lines on Fire. Engine 6 Company responded.
7. Within minutes, YVFD was dispatched to 44 Plaisted Rd. for Power Lines on Fire. Engine 4 Company took that call.
8. Engine 6 Company was clearing their call. While Engine 4 Company had just signed on returning from their call when YVFD and YBFD were dispatched to 5 Starboard Lane for smoke coming from a garage/Structure Fire. Squad 1 Company was first on scene, followed by Engine 6 and Engine 4 Companies. Engine 6 layed a line from the hydrant and Engine 4 fed Squad 1 with water from the hydrant. Engine 4 and Squad 1 Companies extinguished the small fire in the eves. Engine 8 and York Beach Engine 3 also responded. Units were cleared in under 30 minutes.